The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
There are E-Types and There are E-Types
In Response To: Re: Silverstone rarer but... ()

While not an expert on E-Types, I would distinguish between some early E-Types that look great (to my eye) and others that look like absolute pigs. Same comments about their interior and exterior . . . same comment for Ford Mustangs and even some Porsches and Ferraris. The Testa Rossas looked a lot better than the Testarossas! The early E-Types looked a lot better than the ones meant to drive the kids to school and haul the groceries. Of course, crash-proofing and de-smogging also affected the designs and performance.

I believe that we often see a great design, inspired by genius in the early years, that gets eroded / diluted over time . . . loses the original inspiration. The company has established a great name for a model (Carrera or Mustang or Alfa Romeo Spider), and wants to keep selling the "name", even when the physical piece / design has become uninspired. Look at the 1960's Alfas compared with those in the 1980's and 1990's. I almost cry when I see what was once the beautiful Duetto lugging around the huge black bumper / spoiler / tail, 20 years later.

Personally, my eye for 1960s and 70s Heuers has moved toward the Autavias (early manual or early automatic), the Carreras (primarily the manual) and the Monacos (almost any of them). These watches provide very different "looks" for different "moods" and days, but I believe that they are all inspired (and well-designed). This preference for the "Big Three" (Autavia, Carrera and Monaco) means that I have moved away from many of the other Heuers (Daytona, Montreal, Monza, etc.), but that's just a matter of personal preference.

A great thing about the Heuers -- there are many different looks and feels, many different price points, many different moods -- something for everyone!!

Good discussion, guys!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: I understand about the film links etc and although I appreciate
: both Richard and Mark's views I am a fan of Monaco, Silverstone
: and certain Autavia's. Carrera's I have to say, sorry Mark,
: don't do much for me. Maybe because in my short time as a
: collector, I've never held a vintage Carrera.

: Mark, I agree with you to a point about the E-type and it's
: interesting to use that as an example. If you look at small,
: individual details such as the windscreen, and the length of the
: bonnet as you suggested, yes, it does a look a big odd. Overall,
: as a whole design though, it all gels together and I think it's
: a beautifull shape. Not as good as Ferrari's of the same era,
: totally with you on that. Going back to watch talk, I think the
: design of Silverstone is fantastic; the shape of the case, the
: kinks in the edges and the dial layout. In my opinion, I think
: it's one of the most striking watches Heuer made. So
: distinctive. I guess the great thing about Heuer, and collecting
: them, is there is there something for everyones taste and I for
: one, love 'em.

: David H

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE