The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The Autavia renaissance

No, I'm not talking about the reissues, I think most everyone would disagree on that front. Including me.

But this post might still be a little contentious, so bear with me.

Arno recently posted some nice pics of a couple of late Autavias over on the IVHOC forum; I'll take the liberty of pinching one of them for here Arno, hope that's ok!

Now, I know the gold-plated one isn't to everyone's taste, but let's roll it together in with its sister PVD models. Arno also posted the late 73663 military-look watch, and it struck me that these 3 watches all found a place in my top 5 list of Autavias from a while back: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=32905

And all 3 of those relatively late in the Autavia scheme of things. Which led me to scrutinise my top 5 again:

Yes, yes, I admit I cheated by including a couple of Sifferts and all the PVD/GP models, so my top 5 actually comprises nine watches but hey, the intention was there. So, I reckon the Autavia started well with the large-registered and dauphine-handed models, then had a high point with the Siffert, then carried along at a certain level until late in the day, when, to me at least, Heuer hit another purple patch with the model.

From my perspective, the Autavia thus ended on a bit of a high point. At precisely that time when Heuer was producing new series without too much rhyme and reason (if the Verona is elegant and yet still sporty, then the Jarama is sporty but still... well, maybe Heuer invented bling there); when familiar models were experimenting with quartz movements; when other models were coming along with quartz movements and odd cases; when the Carrera was producing odd greatest hits compilations:

Yep, the (slightly rare) 110.235 B really does have a 110.573 B barrel dial in an 1153 case, your eyes aren't deceiving you.

Yes, precisely then, when other Heuers were losing their way (if not also the plot in some cases!), I reckon Heuer did some of their best work with the Autavias. So, does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?!!

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE