The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Which Raises the Question: What Value with Refinished Dial?

Good points made here . . . in fact, we have seen some highly-rated dealers unknowingly offering Frankens and watches with refinished dials.

So let's ask the question: Assuming that a nice, all original sample of this Monaco 1533B would be worth something like $6,000, how much would our readers pay for this same watch with this refinished dial or how would you value the watch? I use the $6,000 only for discussion purposes; it could be $5,000 or it could be $7,000 . . . the key point is to understand the "discount" for the refinished dial?

Many collectors might say that it is worth zero to them . . . so let's use the usual "fair market value" framework of what a willing buyer would pay to a willing seller, both of them being fully informed and under no pressure to engage in the transaction. Also, let's assume that the bidder / buyer does not have an original dial in the drawer, ready to install.

Jeff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Hi,
: as Paul says the question is to understand if a watch with a
: re-dial is a fake or not... IMHO, I don't think so, it's just a
: non full original watch whose price should be clairly under an
: original model!

: It's true that it isn't common the huge kwnoledge you all have on
: OTD about Heuer Vintage... and probably, any possible non-expert
: buyer could be confused about this kind of watches.

: Knowing for long time the owner of "Watch Collectors" and
: despite his excellent knwoledge about watches, I'm rather sure
: that he hasn't got any idea about this re-dial....

: I'll try to send a message to prevent and proposing to advice the
: dial is not original...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE