The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
OT: Brands that Have Had Awful Years / Only Good Years

Team:

For an article that I am writing, I am needing some examples of "brands" that have either (a) had some good years and some bad years, and (b) brands that have been consistently strong over the decades.

In the first category, I think of the Scheaffer pen and the Ford Mustang. They each produced some excellent products (1930s for the Schaeffers and 1960s for the Mustangs), followed by some bad years -- we saw some $2.00 Scheaffers in the 1980s and 1990s; we saw some absolutely awful Mustangs in the 1980s, for example.

In the second category, it seems that some automotive brands have maintained excellence over the decades; same for some watch brands . . . but I am less interested in this phenomenon. More interested in the great to awful category, as described above for the Scheaffers and Mustangs.

When was the last time that you saw what used to be a fine brand, and shed a tear that the name was now used for an awful product? Cars; pens; knives; guns; audio equipment; clothes; shoes . . . any other categories of products or collectibles?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE