The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
The new old Monza... old new... you get what I mean!

Another nice piece from DC that I don't think has been posted here yet:

http://www.calibre11.com/2011-tag-heuer-monza/

Helps explain the pre-Basel teaser shots that didn't appear to have any link to the 1/1000 Mikrotimer:

David also uncovered the link to the 30s chrono that inspired the Monza reedition, rather than the Camaro we all thought it was more like. Seems like a 40-year cycle for fashions in watch cases! Still don't get why it's called a Monza though :)

Personally, I'm divided on the looks. It seems a bit pastichey to me - the retro styling alone I can live with, and it suits the case, but the model name above Heuer is for me tied irrevocably to that 60s and 70s heyday, and having it and that retro look on the same dial seems an anachronism. Wonder how it would look with a thin Heuer shield, no model name and the movement text omitted - I think I'd prefer that, although the argument over whether that might mislead a less well-informed consumer into thinking it was actually vintage would then apply. On balance then, it doesn't really appeal to me but I can see that it will find a ready market.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE