The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: The new old Monza... old new... you get what I mean!

As a person who loves the REAL Monza, I hate this thing. It looks fine, I guess. I am just so pissed that TAG doubled down on their misnamed "re-issue" and even more thoroughly confused the public. This watch has no racing connection in my mind. The original Heuer Monza was made to celebrate Niki Lauda's championship with Ferrari. Other than the nebulous connection that this watch is meant to look like its from the same time period that the Autodromo di Monza was built in, why the hell do they call it a Monza?? I was equally pissed about their "Targa Florio" watch, which again seems to me like an attempt to rehash an old un-named prewar chrono (in that case a Flieger watch, right?) and give it a name that has some emotional currency to sell a watch this fundamentally lacking in any real backstory. I kind of expected more from TAG since they were finally doing decent re-issues like the Silverstone that remain relatively true to the real watch. Ok, rant finished.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE