The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Lots to Like (a Couple of Quibles)

A few quick thoughts on this one:

• I like the numerals, hands and style of the registers . . . all very 1920s / 30s
  • Monza is a fine name for this watch, as the Monza track was built in the early 1920s . . . so the look of the numerals, hands and registers seems right to me
  • as collectors who focus on the 1960s and 70s, we are jolted to see the Monza / Heuer name and logo transplanted from 1977 to 1927, and we see a case that we associate with the Monza re-issue
  • having the "Calibre 36" on the dial is out of period, for the 1920s or the 1970s, but this is a legendary movement, so it is natural for TAG Heuer to want to show off the name [a shame that the hour recorder was lost in the process]
My bottom line: As people who collect vintage watches, we should realize that this one was not designed and produced for us . . . we are just not the target market. When I think of the average watch purchaser walking into a mall store, and seeing this one, and learning about it, then it makes sense to me . . . a pleasant / pretty style, with a racing connection, powered by a legendary movement. We should all be happy that Heuer continues to derive new watches from its history, and this watch certainly does that.

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

: Another nice piece from DC that I don't think has been posted here
: yet:

: http://www.calibre11.com/2011-tag-heuer-monza/

: Helps explain the pre-Basel teaser shots that didn't appear to have
: any link to the 1/1000 Mikrotimer:

:
:

: David also uncovered the link to the 30s chrono that inspired the
: Monza reedition, rather than the Camaro we all thought it was
: more like. Seems like a 40-year cycle for fashions in watch
: cases! Still don't get why it's called a Monza though :)

: Personally, I'm divided on the looks. It seems a bit pastichey to
: me - the retro styling alone I can live with, and it suits the
: case, but the model name above Heuer is for me tied irrevocably
: to that 60s and 70s heyday, and having it and that retro look on
: the same dial seems an anachronism. Wonder how it would look
: with a thin Heuer shield, no model name and the movement text
: omitted - I think I'd prefer that, although the argument over
: whether that might mislead a less well-informed consumer into
: thinking it was actually vintage would then apply. On balance
: then, it doesn't really appeal to me but I can see that it will
: find a ready market.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE