The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Lots to Like (a Couple of Quibles)

: My bottom line: As people who
: collect vintage watches, we should realize that this one was not
: designed and produced for us . . . we are just not the target
: market. When I think of the average watch purchaser walking into
: a mall store, and seeing this one, and learning about it, then
: it makes sense to me . . . a pleasant / pretty style, with a
: racing connection, powered by a legendary movement. We should
: all be happy that Heuer continues to derive new watches from its
: history, and this watch certainly does that.

I take the point. But I have three "re-edition" TAG-Heuers and I suspect several other of the forum-goers have more than one too.

And it works in both directions - yes, we should be happy that TAG-Heuer can look to its past and produce interesting watches now and in turn they should be happy that those watches can get us vintage guys talking about them. And I think that is recognised, we have had a few visits here from M. Babin over the years after all. I like the current direction, it feels like the past informing the watches of the present (relatively) organically and sympathetically, whereas other manufacturers (and arguably some of the earlier re-editions) seem more to exploit the past instead.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE