The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
My Guess
In Response To: An Interesting Autavia ()

David:

Very interesting to see this one.

Here's my guess as to how this fits in: We know that a tachymeter scale can be useful for racing / rallying. We also know that a rotating minutes / hours / combined MH bezel can be useful for timing events. My guess is that Heuer was considering having the best of both worlds with this Autavia, by (a) keeping the rotating bezel (for minutes / hours), but (b) adding a tachy scale to the dial. This compromise probably didn't last long, and then they decided to simply go with a rotating tachy bezel . . . on the second execution screw-back case.

Best suggestion is to determine whether this is a first or second execution case, and then you'll know which bezel you need. Some elements suggest that this dial would be at home in a late version of the first execution case.

Thanks for sharing this very rare one!!

Jeff

++++++++++++++++++

: Hi Everyone,

: I thought that you might find the Autavia below interesting:

:
:

: The watch was bought around 1965 and is still owned by the original
: owner. Unfortunately, the watch was serviced in the 1980s when
: the original bezel was damaged and replaced with a gold rolex
: bezel (!).

: The owner would like to get the watch back to its original
: condition...but its hard to advise, as I don't think we've seen
: one of these before.

: Mark and Jeff have both had a look, and Mark found this old post
: from Paul:

:
: http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=44477

: But I think this is the first time we have seen an original watch
: with this dial.

: Does anyone know what Bezel this was *likely* to have had? Perhaps
: all of the Screwback Autavias have the same bezel size?

: I'd love to help the owner bring it back to life- I reckon will a
: bit of "Abel Magic" this would look fantastic.

: dc

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE