The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

About: a watch is just a watch
In Response To: Engineering scalability *PIC* ()

: I think that you may be hurting some of the
: very strong points you make here when you
: say, "a watch is just a watch." If
: that's your point, those six words say it.
: If it is not really your point, any
: (possibly great) argument you may
: subsequently make is likely to be undermined
: by those six words.

Dell, you made some good points here.

You may have taken my "a watch is just a watch" remark out of the context. The following sentence was "People pay extra get the better styling, workmanship and brand name prestige, that's about it for luxury watches. Please, crown? bracelet? or xxx grade streel, they are really trivial stuff."

For me, a watch is just a watch in a sense that I expect a watch to keep good time, reasonably reliable, and good water resistance. I think many watches on the market can satisfy the functional aspect of a watch. No?

But I choose to buy my Omegas, Rolexes because I want "better styling, workmanship and brand name prestige". My choices have little to do with what type of crown certain watch used, or what grade of steel certain model used, .... Do you buy a Rolex or Omega based on stuff like that? How about what type of lubricant, what machine they used to build the watch? .... That's a lot of stuff to consider.

For me, I buy a watch based on styling (of course), workmanship (good quality), and brand name (history, recognition, etc). Movements are also a great concern to me, that actually is implied in the workmanship/brand name. I'm looking at Rolex/Omega range for this type qualities.

If this can hurt anyone's feeling, that's very unfortunate, and I also could be hurting myself too.

As a scientist/engineer, I don't like bias or hype without solid proof. If someone ask me, "I want a watch that just to keep good time, ok quality, good water resistance." I'd recommend Seiko type of watches. If someone ask me, "I want a watch that can also be jewelry", I'd recommend Rolex/Omega or even higher range.

I participated the discussion not trying to change people's mind, but rather to air my humble on opinion on these issues. I respect everybody's passion or love for watches, but the arguments are about claims without much facts to back them up or arguments that are logically flawed, such as:
Because it's a xxxxx brand, thus better.
Because it uses certain grade steel, thus better.
Because it is "in-house", thus better.
Because it is ETA, thus no good.
Are these logically correct?

I'm more interested in reading experiences, history, technical analysis, .... or even personal storys. These are more interesting than just make a statement like xxxx is better than xxxx, or hearing some marketing hype or stereotype.

I give my watches equal (though not exactly equal) amount of love, including a Casio, a Chinese made manual wind.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE