The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

I'd only do it with a watch intended for such use.

Speedy Pro Water Resistance Discrepancies Posted By: Jimmy Penson Date: 8/18/06 13:49 GMT

Hi all,

I am new to your forum, but am a long time Omega owner and fan.

Welcome Aboard! Jim!

I am looking into getting a Speedy Pro but have found conflicting info regarding water resistance.

Not surprising, even considering the different models of Speedmaster Pro, several of which have lower W/R ratings from Omega. Omega has multiple opinions on the topic, and then there is the peanut gallery here and elsewhere.

I really want to be able to swim in the watch for extended periods,

You do know that the Speedmaster Pro is not designed nor intended as a "Swimming" nor a dive watch don't you? The Speedmaster was designed as a Drivers/Pilots watch not as a water-bourne watch. It does have some minimal water-resistance, but this is not the Speedy Pro's forté.

and, according to the Omega site, the Speedy's water resistance rating will handle that.

Well, depending on the model (and mostly it's the Display Back models which have lower W/R ratings), the Speedmaster Pro's water resistance ratings traditionally have been 10 Meter's or about 30 feet, and 30 Meters or about 100 feet. Now I spy on Omega's site that on four of seven models that come up when searched for are now claimed to have a 50m water resisteance (167 feet).

I have no idea what has prompted Omega to claim higher water resistance for these models, because to my knowledge... There have been no changes to the watches themselves.

I and others have queried John Diethelm, Maria Mastrodonatello and Marco Richon (among others) for an explanation for the Speedmasters (rather anemic in our opinions) W/R rating on the Moonwatches. The answer is that the Steel backed models are designed suffeciently for Omega to claim 60m W/R, but they elect to be conservative in the rating because the watch is not intended for swimming or diving, and if people wish to do those activities while wearing an Omega, they really should be looking at Omega's Seamaster offerings.

However, on Timezone, there is another chart discouraging swimming for the speedy's WR rating.

Yeah, I know... I wrote and created that chart and am the co-author of TZ's FAQ.

That chart was written based both on the feedback I and others had from Omega and basic common sense conservativism...

If someone read's a Moonwatch's W/R rating of 10m and thinks "Gee, I'm only going to swim laps, I'll never go deeper than 4-5 feet, I'll just buy a Speedmaster Moonwatch." and goes swimming and the seals fail and there's water in the movement, they're going to be P¡ssed off at me, at Omega, at the world. They just spent $1k, $2k, $3k and more on a moonwatch and it's waterlogged.

Not to mention that Salt water, Chlorine, detergent, soap and rapid underwater direction/temperature changes do not do especially friendly things to watch's rubber seals. It also should be pointed out that any watchs' W/R rating is based on having the rubber seals (crown, caseback, pushers (if any) crystal, etc.) checked and replaced as needed every year.

I tried to read what NASA said about water resistance for the moon watch, but only found it mentioned, not specified. Does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with ocean swimming over the years in a speedy pro?

Ocean swimming over the years with a Speedy Pro [a heavy and violent shudder courses through Chuck's body]?

Let me put it this way:

If you are willing to spend $1,000-$3,000 (and up) on a watch with minimal W/R rating, expose it to rust catalyst Salt Water, higher than W/R dynamic pressure (when moving the watch through the water), coral, undersea rocks, sand, and other dangers, that's your decision.

If I was going water-bourne with a watch, I'd only do it with a watch intended for such use. And frankly, I'd buy an inexpensive Invicta 8926 for under $150 so that I wouldn't srew up my Seamaster, Speedmaster, whatever...

I mean that's what G-Shocks, Ironman's and Invicta's are for... So you don't hose up your good watch!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Of course, odds are excellent that I will wind up with a speedy pro either way (I can always wear my seamaster), but any help would be great!

My opinion is that your Seamaster is more appropriate for Ocean Swimming. Seriously, Get your hands on an Invicta for the hazardous duty usage. The first time you screw it up it'll be a great relief that you only messed up a $150 watch and not a $1,500 or $3,000 one.

Thanks in advance,

Jimmy Penson

I hope this is helpful!

-- Chuck

Chuck Maddox

Watch Article index: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/cm3articles.html,
Watch Links Page: http://www.xnet.com/~cmaddox/watch.html,
Watch Blog: http://chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/.

Chronographs, like most finer things in life, only improve with time...

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE