The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Maiden bid watches

How's this for a theme? Watches you have won on a maiden bid, i.e. you were the only bidder on a watch and won it on your first bid. It happens sometimes, for whatever reason nobody else seems interested or has spotted the watch - it can be a sign that there is something wrong, but can also simply be something that has slipped under everyone's radar for whatever reason. Maybe the seller misspelled "Heuer" or listed it as something or somewhere strange.

As it happens so rarely for a good watch, it's a particularly satisfying feeling :)

Here's my favourite maiden bid watch:

I'd been watching it since it was put up, came in at the end and was surprised to see there was no competition whatsoever. Ok, these Twins might be a bit niche but with the desirable black dial and listed as "HEUER Carrera Chronograph vintage Sammleruhr", I'd expected to have to put up more of a fight!

So anyone else have a watch or watches won with maiden bids? Or maybe a Buy-It-Now at an incredible price, or a watch that sat in a dealers and was picked up for a snip?

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE