The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Longines: Is the Brand Under-Appreciated? And Why?

My admittedly naive perspective is to guess that the size and popularity of vintage Heuer collecting is due in some part to the marketing efforts of TAG Heuer. Even though many vintage Heuer owners (such as myself) dislike TAGs or wouldn't own one, our perception of the brand's heritage and status has been burnished enormously by the amount that LVMH group spends marketing the brand today. And reissues of pieces like the Monaco also build awareness of the past and bring new blood into the collector community.

As for Longines, although the company still exists and still is involved in sports timing etc. they don't really advertise here in the States and they are much more "quiet" when compared to TAG Heuer's media onslaught.

I think my points are borne out by examples of the other popular collector brands, as Rolex, Panerai, and Breitling. They are also coincidentally 3 of the biggest spending brands in terms of advertising their current products. So my advice would be to buy Longines watches that you like, and enjoy them before a luxury conglomerate buys them and pumps huge amounts of cash into their marketing budget, causing a bump in values of vintage pieces. Don't forget that TAG Heuer was also a "mall brand" at one point before LVMH moved them upmarket and pushed the McQueen thing all over the place. To the average person, I think there is still sticker shock when you tell them how much a new TAG costs.

That's my 5 cents.

: hi Jeff... I think they definitely are appreciated by collectors in
: the know... that's why many of their vintage chronos with the
: movements you mentioned are fetching mega-bucks... and their
: line of Conquests rival anything similar to what Omega
: (Seamasters) was producing in the 50's/60's...

: perhaps they lost some of their allure when they became a 'mall'
: brand several years ago? maybe the name has greater recognition
: now as a women's brand?? the name surely rolls off the tongue
: softly, not quite as 'macho' sounding as some other prominent
: brands we know and love...

: but yes, they are certainly under-appreciated by most and many
: terrific vintage Longines models can be had for a relative song
: these days...

: cheers,
: Peter

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE