The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Thanks Jeff.....one relevant thing I forgot...

....to mention is the effect of FX rates. Whilst Euro/$ has had its share of movement, the brunt of the forex moves have clearly centred around the pound.

This was in effect a local £ sale...so when we reflect the results in todays $ terms, I think we are mixing 'watch' pricing with fx pricing.

The sale price of the watch was £43,500. Yes, today thats around $58k....but 10 days ago that was $65k+

Sterling buyers would I expect not have been taking the $ rate into account when bidding. So, whilst £43.5k is on the low side for what was expected, it doesn't seem that bad given the circumstances.

For me, the opportunity was ripe for our friends across the pond....thats where I had expected it to go given the fx advantage.....and another reason I stayed away.....listing it earlier in the day was perhaps not the smartest move from the UK auction house. You wouldn't arrange an auction at 8am local time...so why have one of the important niche watches, the one on your cover, be presented to US buyers at this time ?!? A little naive perhaps....

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE