The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Sales results were close to last 4 quarter average....

Hi Jeff,

the results in terms of total sales completed did not feel overly low for WOK. Numbers for the last 4 quarters are ;

Mar 16 230/417 55%
Jan 16 104/234 44%
Nov 15 228/433 52%
Sep 15 270/454 59%

Average over the period is around 52%. This quarters sale seems fairly in line, in terms of sold vs passed.

I've been to all sales from last year and one thing I would say is, whilst WOK are a great bunch, they are not in the league of Christies and Philips. Don't get me wrong, I love the sales, but this is a 5 year old house learning its trade in an aggressive marketplace.

I'm going to generalise here, but I believe the condition / desirability of the watches as a whole is lower....and perhaps more significantly in terms of sales numbers if you actually look though line by line what they are selling....you certainly wouldn't see a good number of those at a more established auction house sale.

Would an experienced house, list its poster watch...the one they have been promoting, at 7.30am on Saturday NY time....when they must have known the local base was going to be tricky 5 days after Brexit ?!?

I can't help feeling this was the wrong place to sell that 2446...a piece like that needed some finesse. The seller was not a collector as such, from what I know an antique dealer who occasionally has pieces that he sells through WOK. I don't think he really gave much thought to his sales route and just handed it over as he had with other watches....if only he'd known some of the great OTD people and taken advice, I think he would have done somewhat better...

Anyways, I'm off back to bed....nice virus from the kids. It was a choice of bad day time TV or some watch stats....trust me the TV was bad !!

All the Best,

Sid

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE