The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Quick Reply That Ran Long...
In Response To: Some more thaughts ()

: It is like comparing a 1999 cadillac eldorado
: (built like a tank)and car like a 1999
: mercedes 500sel (very unreliable engine).
: The cadillac wins because of the northstar
: and its general reliability. The northstar
: only requires an oil change every 165000km,
: great advantage over the competitors.

In reading this and some of the other recent posts, I don't think you can lose sight of the fact that no product lacks the potential to be defective or problematic. As an example, the Cadillac Northstar engine you mentioned was in my neighbors' "dream car". When they retired and finally bought a brand new Caddy, it was in the shop every other week for warranty repairs. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with the engine's computer for months. Does this mean all Northstar engines are bad? No, it just means my neighbors received one that was a "lemon".

What does happen, though, is that the consumer loses faith in the brand because this is the ONLY product they buy from that manufacturer. About 4 years ago I saved up enough money to finally buy a new Corvette. As I drove it off the lot, it stalled and the salesman had to give it a jump start to get it going again. That night, the dashboard lights kept turning on and off at random, the other interior lights seemed "possesed" as well, and for life of me I couldn't get the trunk hatch to close properly. The next day it wouldn't start again, so I had it towed back to the dealer where I demanded my money back. I had just shelled out over $40K for a product that was defective from the minute it left the dealership.

I went back to Honda, since all six Hondas I owned never gave me the least bit of trouble. Would the rare person who buys a defective Honda agree with me? No, he'd do the same thing I did with the Corvette.

All I'm trying to say in these ramblings is that it may not be fair to judge an entire brand based on one bad experience, but as consumers that's what we're "hard wired" to do.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE