The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

& I disagree too. LONG
In Response To: I disagree ()

I am a WIS.

I like LOVE watches. I go on holiday,lie on a beach & spend more time looking at mens wrists than the more curvey parts of the ladies.

I have VERY little interest in the movement. I don't care what finish is on the movement. I don't care who made it, for whom & who refinished it.

What counts for are the following.
- Omega, I decided quite early on that I would concentrate on Omegas. I could have quite easliy chosen Heuer or Seiko or Panerai etc.
- Optics, If I don't like the looks, I don't buy it.
- Features, I have more chronographs than others. Of the others most of them are divers.
- Purchase price. If I can't afford it, I'm not interested.
- Resale value. There are watches that I like, but I KNOW that if I bought them I'd take a big financial "hit" If I ever had to sell them.
- It must keep "reasonable" time. The last watch I had serviced for this reason was losing about 5 minutes a week. so lets say 1 minute a day is OK for me.

The fact that ALL ( possibly with the exception of a single Speedmaster Pro ) of my watches are vintage or thereabouts ( ie pre 1985 ), fits in with my criteria above.

There are literally thousands of Omegas available. I have selected a tiny tiny percentage of them & spend my money & time on them. I look for Info. I research. I buy books , leaflets, brochures etc etc on the watches that interest ME .

I don't care about advertising or marketing. I CAN'T say it doesn't influence me. It certainly DOES influence collectors & prices. eg. look at the PloProf, 1000M, SHOM seamaster & my recently posted "flightmaster" style 200m.

These are all Omega Dive watches from roughly the same period. these ALL have either a 1002 or 1010/1012 movement in them.

A typical price for a PloProf is currently $2000 upwards.
A typical price for a 1000M is currently $3500 upwards.
A typical price for a SHOM is currently $500 upwards ( the last one I saw sell fetched $1500 though ).
A typical price for a "flightmaster" style 200M is currently $400 upwards.

So..... what does the movement have to do with this . NOTHING. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Rarity ? I's also say NOTHING, or at best, VERY LITTLE. Look in eBay now, you can find PloProfs, you can find quite a few... Now find me a SHOM seamaster. I bet you can't find a SHOM.

Or find a "flightmaster" style 200m, you'll be lucky to find one.

I reckon they come up for sale MUCH less frequently that PloProfs & fetch less than a quarter of the price.

MARKETING... We collectors ALSO do "marketing" we talk about watches, praise some , criticise others. WE influence the prices.

Another good example of this is the Speedmaster 1045 Moonwatch. This is currently fetching around $4000. ANY other 1045 movemented Speedmaster is less than a quarter of that.... why.... marketing. We, the collectros have talked the price of the "grail" up. It has NOTHING to do with the movement.

I have a couple of the 1045 movemented speedies, but just the case styles that I like. I don't have a TV dialed watch, & unless one comes my way VERY cheap, I won't buy one.

So, to get back to the original question... ( which also bores me to death )

I don't think I can improve on the ansers from John R & Ishrar. I am MORE than impressed with their arguements above. ( even if they don't apply to vintage watches )

As for the laughable comment about being able to "afford" a Rolex. PUUULEASE..... If I sold all my Omegas I could afford quite a few Rolex. How many Rolex do I have ? None. Do I like them ? Of course. would I like one ? Obviously , I'd LOVE to have a GMT II or Explorer II. Will I ever buy one ? Not as long as the prices are so high & I still have other Heuer's, Omegas, etc etc that I want.

I think most posts in this thread present a reasonable & balanced view of the world.

There will always be Omega "fans" who are just working their way "up" the ladder until they can afford a Rolex.

I wish them luck.

Finally, after this long ( & boring ? ) post, I'd like to add.

Every opinion here counts. I don't agree with some of them. Some people will not agree with mine. That is LIFE.

I'll finish with a quote from Abraham Lincoln, which sums up this whole Rolex/Omega situation.

"I don't like that man, I must get to know him better"

Maybe we should apply this to watches too ?

S. ( just my 2 cents worth, which has the same value as everyone elses here )

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE