The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum

zOwie Omega Discussion Forum

Opened July 1999, zOwie is the Internet's first and longest running discussion forum dedicated to Omega brand watches.

Feel free to discuss pricing and specific dealers. But 'for sale' postings, commercial solicitation and ads are not allowed. Full archive of all messages is accessible through options in the Search and Preferences features. Privacy, policies and administrivia are covered in the Terms of Use.

For the answer to the NUMBER #1 most frequently asked question here--for details or value of a specific older Omega watch you have--go to: Tell Me About My Omega. Learn more about How To Include Photos and HTML In Your Postings. To contact someone with a question not relevant to other readers of the forum, please click on their email address and contact them privately.

Re: Omega Resale Value
In Response To: Re: Omega Resale Value ()

Just a few things to think about: 1. The in house movement argument may be relevent to some, but not those of us who want a watch that is durable enough to wear everyday, doing everyday activities with cleanings as seldom as every 5-7 years. Rolex is one of the few that can claim that because of their reputation as a dive watch. If they weren't as durable, they never would have lasted. The same can be said for ETA movements. 2. If Rolex sold their movements to another manufacturer, would the fact that it was an out of house movement make it any less "Superlitive"? The fact that ETA is used in so many watches is impressive, especially those who make their own in house movements, Tudor to name one. 3. Those of you who believe that Rolex is a quaint little manufacturer who pine over a few movements a year are kidding yourselves. The last published numbers showed Rolex producing upwards of 650,000 chrometer certified movements in FY05 compared to only 200,000 + for Omega. Of course that doesn't include all that ETA produced for every other watch company. Finally, Rolex makes a beautiful watch, but for many watch enthusiests like myself, we were initially turned off by the fact that they were such a status symbol, worn by so many only to make a statement. I for one could care less whether people know I'm wearing a nice watch and wearing a brand that not every joe on the street recognizes gives me satisfaction. Interestingly enough, when I walk into a jewelry store my SMP gets plenty of attention and I find that more times then not, the salesperson admits its their best selling automatic watch. It took me a long time to appreciate Rolex, and because I own a Fortis, SMP and Speedy, I've become a real fan of both ETA and Lumania movements. That having been said, and having spent some dough on watches already, I have no intention of parting with any of them to purchase my next watch, as I love them all on their own merits, but I've finally come around to seeing Rolex for the clasic beauty that it is and plan to purchase a Sub 50th Aniv at some time in the future. Beautiful watches are a wonderful thing to enjoy, and Omega and Rolex owners will likely always have this argument, like two gentlmen growing old together sitting on a park bench. Here's to many more years of friendly arguments. Cheers. By the way, if anyone doubts what Chevy can produce if they focus their vast resources, take a look under the hood of a Corvette and compair it to any other car with the same level of performance. Cosworth (of NASCAR fame) is another example of how good Chevy can be when they want to be.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE