The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
November 19: Let’s Wish Jack Heuer a Happy 80th Birthday!!

Those who have been following the watch media are no doubt aware that Jack Heuer is celebrating his 80th birthday this year. We have been seeing reviews of the Jack Heuer 80th Birthday Carrera, reading interviews with Jack Heuer, etc.

But as we are celebrating Jack Heuer’s 80th year, it’s about time for us to focus on his birthday itself, which is on Monday, November 19th.

Jack Heuer’s contributions to the brand are immeasurable. Whether working out the math for the tide dial of the Mareographe (Seafarer) as a high school student, peddling stopwatches to the racers, drawing the iconic Carrera, pioneering the development of the automatic chronograph, or striking deals with Jo Siffert, Steve McQueen and Enzo Ferrari, we can say that Jack Heuer has embodied the brand for over half a century. The Heuer brand had its glory years, the brand struggled along with the rest of the Swiss watch industry, and now the TAG Heuer brand is enjoying a resurgence on every level.

On behalf of the vintage community, in general, and OnTheDash, in particular, I must express deep gratitude to Mr. Heuer. We have been email “pen pals” for the last nine years, and regardless of how silly, elementary or repetitive my questions have been, I can expect to receive a reply within 24 hours (unless he is on holiday or maybe having a knee replaced). Jack Heuer’s replies typically go far beyond the questions that I have asked, to share background information or perspective, that I did not even know to ask about. Indeed, these “Messages from Jack” have formed the basis of much of what we have learned about the vintage Heuers over the years.

So on November 19th, let’s all say “Happy Birthday” to Jack Heuer. You can honor him with a photo of your favorite chronograph, bake him a cake and decorate it with 81 candles (or maybe just enjoy a cupcake in his honor), tell us a story, or just post the words “Happy Birthday”, all as you may see fit. (Of course, if you are occupied on the 19th, you can post your message sometime before or after the birthday.)

And please keep your eyes on this discussion forum (or Twitter or Facebook) . . . I will soon be proposing another special celebration for early December! What a great season to be celebrating the "vintage" Heuers – both Jack Heuer himself and the beautiful watches that he has created!

Jeff

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE