The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Re: Geneva Results -- What did you see? *PIC*

Morning Jeff, it was a pleasure to sit through the auction with you.

Initially I was a little underwhelmed having expected some fireworks on one or two of the rarer lots, but having slept on the results I have to say I think it was a pretty good performance that underpins the market.
a couple of observations:

1. Having spoken to quite a few participants it was clear that some buyers were held back by the prospect of having to pay a few more taxes to take the pieces back into the EU..so maybe a London or NY venue would have yielded slightly higher numbers. The first execution Autavia's performed well for non full lame examples, and the screw back GMT must have set a new record. The 1133B seems to be having a resurgence (long overdue in my opinion!).

2. With so many of the "known" Heueristi in the room, it was good to see so many online participants (something like 160 or so)..which demonstrates that the Heuer market is maturing and finding interest from a wide range of watch collectors.

3. We saw quite a lot of interest from many of the traditional watch dealers in the room as well, which further underpins Heuer's move into the mainstream collectors market..

and following on from that theme, Heuer's that were easier to understand for Rolex and Omega collectors performed pretty well.. Think manual Carrera's, anything "tropical" or ex Military..both features heavily sought after in the Vintage Rolex world. It's my guess that these new adopters will eventually get sucked into the myth of Heuer like the rest of us, and start to covet the "watches with names", and with motorsport history.

4. Tag Heuer's bidding on the Angolan FAPLA Carrera clearly demonstrates how serious they are about building a truly comprehensive collection, and their support and commitment to the marque.

finally...after a somewhat diva-ish late entrance to the panel discussion on Thursday, Rich confirmed his status in the community by being chased for autographs in the room after the event ;)

Safe trip home to everyone that was in Geneva..I hope to see you all again next year.

Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE