The largest independent, non-commercial, consumer-oriented resource on the Internet for owners, collectors and enthusiasts of fine wristwatches. Online since 1998.
Informational Websites ChronoMaddox -- the legacy of Chuck Maddox OnTheDash -- vintage Heuer website Zowie -- Omega information
Discussion Forums ChronoMaddox Forum Heuer Forum Omega Forum
Counterfeit Watchers ChronoTools Forum ChronoTrader Forum
Vintage Heuer Discussion Forum
The place for discussing 1930-1985 Heuer wristwatches, chronographs and dash-mounted timepieces. Online since May 2003.
OnTheDash Home What's New! Price Guide Chronographs Dash Mounted Collection
Controversy About the New TAG-Heuer Mvmnt: Cal 1887

I am too busy with work to get into the details at the moment, but I wanted our readers to be aware of a controversy that has been brewing, relating to TAG-Heuer's intorduction of its new in-house movement, the Cal. 1887.

Sorry to have to rely on other forums, to get you the information, but here is a quick recap:

• Here is a posting describing the new movement -- http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=4819658&rid=3020

• Some readers on TimeZone immediately post messages suggesting that this movement is nothing more than the Seiko --
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1393019&mid=4819684&rid=3020&rev=&reveal=

• And here is the text af a message, from Jean-Christophe, posted on WatchUseek --

Hi, I'm J.C. Babin the CEO of TAG Heuer, and YES, the new Caliber 1887 is based on a SII (Seiko Instruments Inc.) TC78 platform developped and patented in 1997 (filing) and eversince produced in very limited quantities, apparently for Junghans and Seiko watches in Japan. The caliber we propose and announced last week in London is a major evolution of this platform even though I aknowledge that the overall construction may look similar at first glance. However, the TAG Heuer movement is much different in terms of components, size and eventually performances, not to mention it is manufactured (all its key components including plate, bridges, assortment, cannon pinion, eccentrics etc....) in Switzerland in TAG Heuer workshops of Cornol (Cortech - a company owned by TAG Heuer and already producing TAG Heuer and Zenith cases) and La Chaux-de-Fonds (where we have also the HQs and where we added 30.000 sq feet more last year for movements assembling and other manufacturig projects) as well as from "best in class" partners such as Nivarox.

- Dimensions: it's broader (29.3 mm vs 28 mm) and thinner (7.13 mm vs 7.27 mm)

- Therefore the main plate, bridges - especially the chronograph bridge - and oscillating mass have been significantly modified to allow this evolution

- Its assortment is a swiss asortment specifically developped by Nivarox for TAG Heuer, and allowing to improve further accuracy and shocks resistancy

- New assortment centring of the balance wheel also specifically developped by KIF, a leading swiss expert company in balance wheels centrings

- Change and development of a new swiss engineered cannon pinion to increase time-setting overtime reliability

- Redesign of the fixing of ball bearings of the mass to contribute reducing the thickness

- Adjustements to pass the famous "60 TAG Heuer torture tests" in terms of accuracy, reliability, thermical and physical shocks resistancy, chemical agressions etc....

We have today already 45 TAG Heuer people working full time on that project in Switzerland and work with 21 other suppliers for additional parts, most being swiss. Total investment is several tenth of mio USD.

I would therefore qualify that movement as really in-house and manufactured by TAG Heuer even though, yes, the original IP has been acquired from SII. Please note that the original SII Caliber has always been praised by watches experts.

I hope I answer your questions as well as our fellow Watchuseek lovers !!!

Good evening - JCB

I will be posting more information and photos re this new movement, but I wanted our readers to at least be aware of the controversy (and the response from Jean-Christophe Babin).

For anyone who might be asking the question, "So what are the Seikos that use this movement?", have a look here at their amazing Flightmaster. I've got to think that TAG-Heuer will do just fine with its new movement!!

Bravo, to the home team; well done, Jean-Christophe!!

Jeff

Messages In This Thread

Controversy About the New TAG-Heuer Mvmnt: Cal 1887
Re: Controversy About the New TAG-Heuer Mvmnt: Cal 1887
Mr. Babin, you're posting here is much-appreciated ...
Jean-Christophe: Thank You for This Message
My money is on a Carrera *NM*
Re: Faithful repro of Carrera or Pvd Monza.
Named after the year Heuer has introduced pignon oscillant? *NM*
More Media Coverage on Perpetuelle.Com
My Comments, Posted on Perpetualle
Re: My Comments, Posted on Perpetuelle
Hello OnTheDash, and...
Thanks for the Message, Kyle
. . . and In WorldTempus.Com
Re: . . . and In WorldTempus.Com
Who Can Translate (or Paraphrase) the French
Re: Who Can Translate (or Paraphrase) the French
Your translation is better than Microsoft's "Bing" version!!
Merci beaucoup! Machine will never replace humans.. LOL *NM*
Post Questions About Cal 1887; Then We Can Ask JCB to Visit
Possible configurations
Marketing asset too
cain and abel?
Jean-Christophe Says that Registers are at "3" and "9"
Re: Jean-Christophe Says that Registers are at "3" and "9"
Great Reporting, David!! Well Done, Jean-Christophe!!
Thanks Jeff
Seiko Flightmaster
Seiko based 1887
Current Position
Chronocentric and zOwie site design and contents (c) Copyright 1998-2005, Derek Ziglar; Copyright 2005-2008, Jeffrey M. Stein. All rights reserved. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the terms of use. CONTACT | TERMS OF USE | TRANSLATE